Are you a primary care doctor who treats warriors or veterans? You may be the first line of defense to treating depression. Get this toolkit to help you out!
The Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) Tool Kit is an important resource for primary care providers working with service members and veterans. The tool kit was developed through the collaborative efforts of Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE), U.S. Army Medical Command (MEDCOM) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
First released in February 2011, the tool kit is a comprehensive resource for primary care providers, promoting accurate screening and diagnosis, symptom management and referrals. It includes the following resources:
- Provider reference cards and provider pocket card
- Pocket Cards
- Booklet: “Depression: Treat It As Your Life Depended On It”
- CD-ROM: “Taking Control of Depression”
- VA/DoD clinical practice guideline summary for MDD
- Tri-fold brochure: depression fast facts
- VA/DoD essentials for depression screening and assessment in primary care
- Booklet: “Depression: What You Need to Know”
To download electronic versions or order hard copies of the tool kit and/or full-length CPG from the MEDCOM website, follow instructions below:
- Visit the MEDCOM website
- In the menu on the left, click “Tool Kit” then “PDF Downloads” (a separate window will open)
- Click on each of the tool kit components to download
- For the full-length CPG, click “VA/DoD Guideline” in the main menu
- Visit the online shopping cart on the MEDCOM website
- Under “Shopping Cart,” select “Click Here to Start Shopping”
- Select “Click Here to Continue”
- From the drop down menu at the top of the page, select “Major Depressive Disorder”
- Choose the tool kit components and select “Add to Cart”
- Proceed to “Check Out”
- Register as “New User” or enter “User Account” information
Thanks to Mary Ellen Salzano, founder and facilitator at California Statewide Collaborative for our Military and Families, for this link.